What cough medicine can I take in the first trimester?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
How much Robitussin is safe during pregnancy?
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant used in OTC medications such as Robitussin to reduce coughing. Cough suppressants can come in immediate-release and extended-release preparations. The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours.
What happens if you take Robitussin while pregnant?
Robitussin and breastfeeding
Dextromethorphan likely passes into breastmilk, though. Try to avoid taking it if you are breastfeeding. And if the Robitussin product you’re considering contains alcohol, avoid breastfeeding if you take it.
Can Robitussin cause birth defects?
Taking dextromethorphan as directed will not cause a fetus to have birth defects. It should be noted, however, that the overuse or misuse of dextromethorphan can negatively affect a pregnant woman and therefore, her fetus.
What helps a cough while pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days. …
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
Which cough syrup is best for dry cough during pregnancy?
For a dry cough, a cough suppressant such as pholcodine or dextromethorphan is considered safe during pregnancy.
What cold medicines can a pregnant woman take?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
Can you take nighttime Robitussin while pregnant?
It is not known whether Robitussin Nighttime Cough DM will harm an unborn baby. Ask a doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant. Dextromethorphan and doxylamine may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby.
Will cough and cold affect pregnancy?
Will having a cold affect the baby? Having a cold during pregnancy will not usually affect the fetus. Colds are mild illnesses that a person’s immune system can handle relatively easily. Having a cold during pregnancy will not usually affect the fetus.