What can happen to your baby if you drink while pregnant?
When a woman drinks alcohol while she is pregnant, the alcohol goes to the baby through her bloodstream. Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS), a serious condition that can affect a child throughout life.
What kinds of problems can drinking cause an unborn baby?
Drinking alcohol during pregnancy increases your baby’s chances of having these problems:
- Premature birth. …
- Brain damage and problems with growth and development.
- Birth defects, like heart defects, hearing problems or vision problems. …
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (also called FASDs). …
- Low birthweight (also called LBW).
How much do you have to drink to affect a fetus?
Although no amount of alcohol is considered safe during pregnancy, it is known that drinking 8 or more drinks a week or 5 or more drinks in one day will affect an unborn baby.
When is alcohol most harmful to a fetus?
The developing fetus can be exposed to alcohol in the earliest weeks of pregnancy. During the third week, alcohol can affect the heart and central nervous system of the fetus. If the mother continues to drink, the eyes, legs and arms of the fetus can be adversely affected.
What happens if you drink while pregnant without knowing?
A: You might be pregnant and not know it yet. You probably won’t know you are pregnant for up to 4 to 6 weeks. This means you might be drinking and exposing your baby to alcohol without meaning to. Alcohol use during pregnancy can also lead to miscarriage and stillbirth.
What happens if I drink before I know I’m pregnant?
Research shows drinking while pregnant, especially in excessive amounts, can cause fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). The diagnosis of fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is based on the appearance of facial abnormalities, growth problems, brain damage, and cognitive and behavioral concerns.
What is safe to drink pregnant?
Water, milk, and herbal teas are all excellent drinks to keep you and your baby safe during pregnancy. Part of your plan to stay hydrated can include drinks just for fun, too, as long as you’re staying away from those listed no-nos.
What can cause a miscarriage?
What causes miscarriage?
- Exposure to environmental and workplace hazards such as high levels of radiation or toxic agents.
- Hormonal irregularities.
- Improper implantation of fertilized egg in the uterine lining.
- Maternal age.
- Uterine abnormalities.
- Incompetent cervix.
What can I drink besides water while pregnant?
Healthy Alternatives to Water
- Sparkling water (try squeezing in some fresh citrus fruit for flavor)
- Pasteurized skim milk.
- Pasteurized soy and almond milk (barring any allergies)
- Freshly squeezed or pasteurized juices (juice has a lot of sugar, so drink in moderation)
- Coconut water.
- Herbal iced tea (no caffeine)
Will one alcoholic drink affect pregnancy?
Not very strong. Other studies suggest pregnant women who have an occasional drink don’t harm themselves or their baby. A 2012 Danish study, for example, found that low to moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy did not affect executive functioning among 5-year-olds.